Monday, September 10, 2012

A SEED PLANTED

Jesus,

I'm supposed to be writing a prayer about sponsorship.  You know I love talking to You, and that this is just what I need.  We have many interesting conversations, if I just listen to Your responses.

Lord, You know I grew up poor.  In fact, I am still poor myself.  Nothing has changed, except it's me who is responsible.  Yet, everything has changed!

My memory isn't great.  You know the reasons.  When I think about sponsorship, Lord, I remember when my interest started.  I was only a little girl, but I knew enough about the world to want to make someone else's life better, to help someone else.

Jesus, it all started when my mom allowed me to read her magazine.  I think it was Reader's Digest.  I saw a brown and white ad on the side.  It said Sponsor a Child.  World Vision, I believe.  Mom answered my questions about sponsoring a child.  I learned that we would send money to help a child get clothes, food, and medicine.  You know how my young heart yearned to help a child, even though I was a child myself.  I begged Mom to sponsor a child.  She said no, that she couldn't afford t.  At that moment, I determined in my heart to sponsor a child.

You planted that seed in my child heart.  You gave me a passion for children in poverty.  As I grew up, You never let me forget my desire to sponsor a child.  You knew exactly who I would sponsor.  You also knew how You would use me to change the lives of children everywhere.

When I agreed to sponsor Eugene, never did I imagine all You had in mind.  Nor did I fathom Your will when I sponsored Lupita.

Lord, these children became my own.  You have decreased and increased the number many times, but still, You have called me to sponsor.

You have used me in ways I never comprehended.  I have encouraged them, prayed for them, and shown them love.  All because You planted that tiny seed when I was a child.

At first, I only saw that I would help a child by sending him money every month.  You knew better.  The letters exchanged have become my joy, sometimes my lifeline.  You revealed to me that each child is a person, created and loved by You.  Each letter I read has given me a glimpse into each precious personality.

Lord, You have used them to reach me as well.  They have made me laugh, made me cry, encouraged me, and even convicted me.

I don't know what the future holds.  Whether this seed has grown and blossomed, or still has some growing to do.

Jesus, I continue to ask You; use me.  Use my kids.  Mold us, and help us to change the world.  All for You.

Thank You, Lord, for each of these children, that You have given me.  Past, present, and my future children.

Thank You for this ever increasing family.  Each of these kids holds a special place in my heart.

I love You so much, Jesus.  

In Your precious name, Amen.

2 comments:

  1. I love how that seed planted in your childhood is producing such good fruit now!!!

    ReplyDelete