Thursday, September 6, 2012

MY SPECIAL BLESSING



This is Emmanuel from Togo.  He is eight years old, almost nine.  I posted my welcome journal on OurCompassion, and I actually saved it.  So, for those of you who are fellow OCer's, this may be familiar.


I wasn't planning on sponsoring another child.  Really, I wasn't.  I spend a lot of time praying about the next one I sponsor.  But I was planning on sponsoring another one when Eugene graduates.  I admit; I had requirements.  Well, we all know that the Lord changes our plans.  First, I wanted a young child, like three or four. Don't get me wrong; I love all my kids, no matter how old they are.  I really wanted to see the child grow up from the first picture until they leave or graduate.  Second, I wanted Africa or South America.  Third, I wanted to be the first sponsor this child has.  Selfish I know.  But I didn't want the child to be the norm and wonder after a couple years when the next sponsor would drop him.  My final one; I wanted a boy. 
When I see a child posted online or on the website, I usually offer a quick prayer and move on.  Well another advocate posted a journal on OurCompassion about this little boy who was waiting over a year for a sponsor.  When I clicked on the journal, I couldn't stop staring at him.  I didn't read the whole journal.  I didn't know how old he was or even what country he was from.  It was as if the Lord was saying, "He is yours."  When I read how long he was waiting, I cried.  That's way too long for a child to wait!  I tried, seriously I did, to move on, but I couldn't.  I knew I needed to pray.  I didn't want to sponsor him without the Lord's okay.  Every time I sponsor a child now, it is with lots of prayer and waiting.  I will not sponsor until I feel it is what the Lord wants me to do.  For I know that the Lord will provide for me.  He has called me to sponsor all these kids, and He will provide.  
That night, I knew the Lord wanted me to sponsor this precious little boy who has melted my heart so quickly.  I told Him my reservations.  I needed to save more money; I'm trying to move out; What about the summer when my hours go down to 36 hours;This makes no sense; etc, etc, etc.  Finally, I was able to fall asleep.  In the morning, this little boy filled my mind and grabbed a hold of my heart.  I immediately started praying.  I knew the Lord wanted me to sponsor him.  And I was expecting a tight paycheck with very little to save.  I told the Lord if I had enough left over, I would sponsor him.  "What if there is exactly $38?" He asked.  "Then I will sponsor him.  That Friday, I got paid.  I did my budget and was blown away.  I not only had enough money to sponsor him, I also had money to save and even some to spend.  Wow!  Is that Jesus or what?  So, I contacted this advocate and told her I would sponsor this precious little soul.  
I called Compassion and gave them all the information they needed.  Then, I asked about his history.  And the guy who I talked to made me feel so bad for Emmanuel and want to cry all over again.  My newest boy has been in the project since 2011.  He's been sent to event after event and posted online.  Last summer, someone picked up his packet at an event but never sent in the form.  It took a while before he was processed (made another packet) again.  I could tell the man was getting emotional as well when he said, "He's never had a sponsor. He must be thinking why is he getting overlooked?  Why doesn't anyone want me?"  Oh, my breaking heart!  I want to go this boy and give him a bear hug and say, "I want you, my dear!"  And then, he said, "Oh, he's going to be so happy to find out his wait is over."  I can well imagine the celebration in his family!  I said, "Oh, I can't wait to write!"  He asked if I was one who wrote often.  I assured him, "Yes, I do.  I love to write to my kids."  He said, "Go ahead and spoil him in that area."  Oh, yeah.  Permission granted!  And I am going to spoil him with love!  
This precious little boy has stolen my heart in a way that no other child has done.  They each have a piece of my heart, but this one is different.  This one made me cry, and I am still crying over his story.  And I could barely stand the wait of the weekend!  On Saturday, I even bought him something that I am sure he is going to love; a rainforest sticker playboard.  And Compassion  had no idea I was going to sponsor him.  
The project information said that 50% of the children do not go to school because they are either too young or lack economic resources.  I do believe he's in school, because he's in grade 3.  It lists his grandparents as his guardians, but it says his parents are sometimes employed.


Just look at his face; how could anyone say no to that?  I call him my special blessing for a reason.  He is my special son in the faith.  I have no children of my own, and this boy only has his grandparents to support him.  I prayed and asked the Lord about why I feel so strongly about him.  Why I love him deeper than any of my other children.  Why he was so special to me.  The Lord answered in His quiet voice; "You love him like a son."  Wow!  I hadn't expected that answer, for sure.  I do want children one day.  

From the Bible Study just last night, I was reminded of this.  God changes family.  He gives us a spiritual family as well as a natural one.  Emmanuel is my son.  I even wrote his second letter telling him that I loved him like a son.  I don't know if an eight year old boy will believe me, but it's true.  I love him like any mother loves her child.  We will always share a bond, just like a natural mother and child.   And I will pour out my love and blessing upon him in the only way I know how; through my monthly letters and my prayers.  He will know in every letter that I love him.  

Just like natural children are a blessing to their parents, so Emmanuel is my blessing.  My special blessing.

No comments:

Post a Comment