Wednesday, September 5, 2012

MY GRATEFUL CHILD





This is Anabell.  She will be 14 next month.  She lives in Honduras.

Anabell is being raised by a single mother.  I know what it's like to be raised by a single mom.  My mom raised me and my sister by herself.

How did I choose her?  Someone asked me to take over her sponsorship.  At the time, I was only working part time, and I was forced to say no even though I so badly wanted to help.  I believe it was then that the Lord placed in me a bond between me and this child.

While I was looking for a full time job, I promised the Lord that I would sponsor another child, making it an even four.

Months later, I got offered a full time position.  What was the first thing I did?  I was looking to sponsor another child.  I admit, I completely forgot about this person's request.  I posted on OurCompassion about looking for a child.  Someone (I forget who) mentioned she had a girl in Africa named Abigail.  Something about the name clicked with me.  I asked her to email me a picture, and I would pray.  Shortly after I asked her to email me a picture, I remembered the request.  Hmm. . . Maybe the person still had her.  So I emailed her as well and asked if I could see her packet.  The woman agreed, and we decided to meet at church.  While I was waiting for Sunday, the other advocate emailed me the picture of Abigail.  I prayed about it, but I just didn't know.  I didn't have peace.  So, I emailed her and told her that I was still praying, but unsure.  I was going to consider another child.

Sunday arrived, and I met the woman.  She told me she didn't feel like she could be a good enough sponsor.  Not the exact words, but what I got out of it.  Apparently, the Lord used me to convict her that she should be writing more.  I tried to explain that I was in the minority.  Many sponsors choose not to write, even though this is so important to the child.  Even writing three times a year is more than most children receive in their time in the program.  The woman insisted I would be a better sponsor.  I believe she kept sponsoring this child until I was able to do so.  She was sure I was to be that sponsor.

I opened the packet and saw a beautiful young girl.  It wasn't the picture you see now.  I got this picture shortly after I received her packet.  "She's so pretty," I said.  I felt an instant connection with her.  Somehow, I knew this girl was the one for me.  Yet, I waited.  I needed to pray first.  While I waited for the service to begin, I studied this girl and her packet, as well as skimmed over the letters the woman had allowed me to borrow.  Excitement built up in me.  She was the one.  Still, I couldn't jump ahead of the Lord.

The service started, and I lost myself in worship.  Until the prayer.  As soon as I closed my eyes, I was in the presence of the Lord.  My spirit cried out, "Anabell!  Is she the one?  Can I sponsor her?"  I saw the Lord smile and nod.  My spirit rejoiced.

As soon as the service concluded (I couldn't wait for it to end), I rushed to the woman and said, "I'll do it!  I will sponsor Anabell for you."

I sponsor Anabell for two reasons.  One, because the Lord agreed.  Two, because I am so grateful to the Lord for all He has done for me.

The past few years haven't been easy.  My boss cut my hours dramatically, and I was forced to rely on others for my needs.  I had to give up three of my five sponsorships.  And I struggled with the painful past of my childhood.  I suffered from depression and loneliness.  My faith crumbled to the point where I was almost sure of walking away.  What was the point?  Two wonderful women intervened and confronted me.  I was hurt at first by their honesty but knew they cared about me enough to tell me the truth.  I admitted I needed help. Another woman stepped in and gave me information about inner healing.  It was through this ministry that I received healing from the Lord.  I am not the same.  I have changed.  I am a living testimony to the Lord's healing and miracles.  During this emotional turmoil, I saw firsthand the provision of the Lord.  He will never let me go without food, clothes, or a roof over my head.  He will supply even my emotional needs.  It took me a while to learn the hard life lessons, but He has been with me every step of the way.  My needs were covered, and I was starting to save little by little, even though I was still working part time.  Plus, I was receiving emotional healing from Him.

Anabell has a special reason for me, and this is the one I so long to meet.  I want to share personally with her the power and the love of Jesus Christ.  I want to share my testimony with her and assure her that the Lord is the only constant in her life.  It is for her that I am saving my nickels and dimes.  I want to tell her face to face everything the Lord has done for me, and I want to tell her in depth why I chose to sponsor her.


2 comments:

  1. I had tears in my eyes while reading this post Stacey, I know what it feels like when faced with the possibility of losing a child. I struggled for months about losing my child I sponsored as I was unemployed, but God provided for me. For months I couldn't pay my monthly fee, Compassion assisted me so I couldn't lose my sponsorship. But I could only keep it up for a short while. But then God provided for me a second time and I was able to pay in advance for 6 months or so. And then the 6 months ended and I started drafting my final letter to my child in my mind, but couldn't let go in my heart. My heart was in pieces over the thought of losing her. But then God provided for me again. A good friend of mine who is also a Compassion sponsor agreed to take over my sponsorship and afford me the opportunity to still write to her. A big sigh of relief and a shout of thankfulness. I know He will continue to do the same for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your comment meant so much, Nicky! Thank you! God proves over and over that He will provide, even when we doubt Him. Never give up, Nicky! He will provide for you. Wait. And watch. It's just amazing how other sponsors step in and take over the sponsorships, isn't it? this has happened to me twice in the same day, and in return, I have done the same thing. Blessings to you, my friend.

    ReplyDelete